Sponsor Your Spouse

Do you have a spouse overseas? Do you wish to reunify with your spouse in Canada? Eligible Canadians and Permanent Residents can apply to sponsor their spouse or common-law partners to become permanent residents of Canada.

Who is eligible to sponsor spouses or partners?

In order to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, you must be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian
  • Living in Canada if you are a permanent resident, or plans to return to Canada, if you are a Canadian citizen
  • Not receiving social assistance (except for disability)
  • Able to provide for the basics need of the persons you sponsor
  • There is no minimum income requirement

What are the financial requirements to sponsor your spouse?

To be a sponsor, you must promise to provide for your spouse for a certain period of time. IRCC calls it a promise of undertaking. This includes:

  • Providing financial support for your spouse
  • Repaying any social assistance your spouse receive

As well, you must also agree to a sponsorship agreement. This includes:

  • Providing for the basic needs of your spouse
  • Ensuring your sponsored spouse will take an effort to support themselves

Finally, there is usually no income requirement for sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner. There is an exception for:

  • Sponsoring a spouse/partner who has a dependent child who has dependent children.

*Important: financial evaluation form for assessing your ability to support your sponsored family members can be found here.

Remember, the province of Quebec has different immigration sponsorship requirements. Learn more here.

Image of a couple holding hands used to build understanding on the Canadian spouse sponsorship program

Who can you sponsor?

  • You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner as well as conjugal partner.
  • Your spouse can be either sex. However they must be legally married to you and at least 18 years old.
  • A common-law partner is not married to you, can be either sex and must be at least 18. Importantly, they must have been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months. Periods apart must have been short and temporary.
  • A conjugal partner is not legally married to you, can be either sex and is at least 18. However, they must have been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year. They must also live outside of Canada and cannot live with you in their home country due to immigration barriers. These reasons include marital status, sexual orientation, as well as fear of persecution.

Who is not eligible to sponsor family members?

You may not be able to sponsor family if you:

  • Are a temporary resident
  • Have a permanent resident application that is still processing
  • Are still financially responsible for another spouse or partner
  • Are in jail for certain specific crimes
  • Have not paid back, for instance: immigration loans, performance bonds, or court-ordered family support payments
  • Did not give the financial support you promised to give in a past sponsorship
  • Have declared bankruptcy and have not been discharged
  • Are receiving social assistance (disability excluded)
  • Have been convicted of a violent crime or sexual offence in Canada
  • Cannot legally stay in Canada

Learn more about the eligibility requirements for sponsorship here.

What must my family members provide?

To be admissible to Canada, the family members you sponsor must provide all required documents, biometrics, as well as an Immigration Medical Exam.

If you have any questions, contact our office by contact form or email.

More services by Sponsor Family Canada

Beyond the Spousal Sponsorship, Sponsor Family Canada offers a range of services to reunite families in Canada:

  • Child/Children Sponsorship: Reunite with your children and create lasting memories in Canada.
  • Parents/Grandparents Sponsorship: Share the joys of family with your parents or grandparents in Canada.
  • Spousal Open Work Permit: Work in Canada while your sponsorship application is in process.
  • Super Visa: Extend your stay and make the most of your time with loved ones.
  • Temporary Resident Visa: Facilitate short-term visits, ensuring family bonds stay strong.
Ready To Reunite With Your Family?

We can help you reunite with your parents / grandparents, sponsor your spouse and your child / children.

We are your trusted specialists in Canadian family class sponsorship. We will assist you with all immigration process stages until you become permanent residents of Canada. You can count on us for any questions, or concerns you might have. We understand the processes and have been doing this for many years now. Furthermore, with a 100% client satisfaction rate, we are your best choice of family sponsorship application.