Sponsor Your Parents

Do you have your parents overseas? Do you wish to reunify with your parents or grandparents in Canada? Eligible Canadians and Permanent Residents can apply to sponsor their parents / grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada.

Who is eligible to sponsor a Parent or Grandparent?

In order to sponsor a Parent or Grandparent, you must be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or registered Indian
  • Living in Canada if you are a permanent resident, or have plans to return to Canada once your sponsors arrive if you are a Canadian citizen
  • Not receiving social assistance (except for disability)
  • Lastly, be able to provide for the basics need of the persons you sponsor

What are the financial requirements to sponsor your Parent or Grandparent?

To sponsor your Parent or Grandparent you must promise to provide for your Parent or Grandparent for 20 years from the time they become permanent residents. This is called a promise of undertaking. This includes:

  • Providing financial support for your family members
  • Repaying any social assistance your family members receive
  • Also, you must also agree to a sponsorship agreement. This includes:
  • Providing for the basic needs of your family members

Finally, there is a Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) for sponsoring a Parent or Grandparent. This is determined by the Low-Income Cut-Off (LICO) that must be met by the sponsor, and co-applicant, for the three years preceding the sponsorship application. A sponsor must have a total income that is at least equal to the MNI, plus 30 percent, for each of the three consecutive taxation years immediately preceding the date of filing of the sponsorship application.

You can look at the financial evaluation form for assessing your ability to support your sponsored family members.

Only your spouse can be co-signer on your application. Not your siblings or children.

Remember, the province of Quebec has different immigration sponsorship requirements. Learn more here.

Who is not eligible to sponsor family members?

You may not be able to sponsor family if you:

  • Are a temporary resident
  • Have a permanent resident application that is still processing
  • Do not have enough money to support your family
  • Became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • Are still financially responsible for another sponsored person
  • Are in jail for certain crimes
  • Have not paid back, for example: immigration loans, performance bonds,, as well as court-ordered family support payments
  • Did not give the financial support you promised to give in a past sponsorship
  • Have declared bankruptcy and have not been discharged
  • Are receiving social assistance (disability excluded)
  • Have been convicted of a violent crime or sexual offence in Canada
  • Cannot legally stay in Canada

Learn more about the eligibility requirements for sponsorship.

What must my family members provide?

To be admissible to Canada, the family members you sponsor must provide all required documents, biometrics, and an Immigration Medical Exam.

The PGP Sponsorship system

Previously IRCC employed a first-come first-serve method to process PGP sponsorship applications. Due to a large number of dissatisfied applicants, the system was changed to a lottery system wherein around 30000 applications are processed in a year. An application is processed only if it is chosen for processing under the lottery system.

Image of Canada Place Vancouver used for decorative purposes

Do you want to reunify with your family in Canada?

The Canadian Super Visa is an excellent option to sponsor your parents or grand-parents. It allows applicants to visit family in Canada for up to five years at a time. Also, you can have multiple entries for up to 10 years.

However, if you plan to stay in Canada for less than 6 months, you should apply for a visitor visa instead.

If you are not invited to apply for family sponsorship in Canada , you can still apply for the Super Visa.

Who is eligible for a Super Visa?

Firstly, to be eligible for a super visa, you must:

  • Be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Have a signed letter from your child/grandchild including:
    • A promise of financial support, as well as proof of income
    • List of people in the household
    • Copy of their Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • Have Canadian medical insurance that is:
    • Valid for at least 1 year from the date of arrival
    • At least $100,000 coverage
    • Have proof of payment
  • Apply for the super visa from outside of Canada
  • Be allowed to enter Canada
  • And finally, take an immigration medical exam.

How do you apply for a Super Visa?

Make sure you have all the right documents. You need:

  • A letter of invitation from your child or grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. The invitation must include:
  • Have a signed letter from your child/grandchild including:
    • A promise of financial support
    • List of people in the household
    • A copy of their Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • Proof that your child or grandchild’s household meets the minimum necessary income. Examples of valid documents include:
    • NOA
    • T4/T1
    • Employment Insurance stubs
    • Employment letters
    • Pay stubs
    • Bank statements
  • Proof of payment for Canadian medical insurance that is:
    • Valid for at least 1 year from the date of arrival
    • At least $100,000 coverage

What if you are visa-exempt?

You may be exempt from a visitor visa if you are a resident of one of these countries. However, you can still apply for a Super Visa. The Super Visa allows you to stay in Canada for 5 years at a time instead of the 6 months, for a visitor visa.

Remember, you must apply for a super visa from outside of Canada

You can sponsor your parents by mail or online

What happens after you apply?

Applications are usually processed within a few weeks or less. Times vary by country and visa office.

Additionally, if you are from a visa-required country you will likely be asked to submit biometrics (your fingerprints and photo). Find out more about submitting biometrics here.

Once approved, a visa will be stamped inside your passport, or a letter will be issued if you are visa-exempt.

What happens once you arrive in Canada?

Finally, the border will check your identity at the point of entry. This may include checking of personal information and fingerprints.

If you have any questions, contact our office via the contact form or by email at bookings@sponsorfamily.ca.

Discover More with Sponsor Family Canada

Beyond the parents/grandparents sponsorship, Sponsor Family Canada offers a range of services to reunite families in Canada:

  • Spouse Sponsorship: Bring your spouse to Canada and build a life together.
  • Child/Children Sponsorship: Reunite with your children and create lasting memories in Canada.
  • Spousal Open Work Permit: Work in Canada while your sponsorship application is in process.
  • Super Visa: Extend your stay and make the most of your time with loved ones.
  • Temporary Resident Visa: Facilitate short-term visits, ensuring family bonds stay strong.
Ready To Reunite With Your Family?

We can help you reunite with your parents / grandparents, sponsor your spouse and your child / children.

We are your trusted specialists in Canadian family class sponsorship. We will assist you during all immigration process stages until you become permanent residents of Canada. You can count on us for any questions, or concerns you might have. We understand the processes and have been doing this for many years now. Furthermore, with a 100% client satisfaction rate, we are your best choice of family sponsorship application.