Here is an overview of Canadian sponsorship application process

It is a completely online application now!

To sponsor a family member, you must complete two separate applications. The first is your application to become a sponsor. Secondly, your spouse, partner or child make an application for permanent residence. However, both applications for sponsorship and permanent residence should be sent in together at the same time.

First, request an application package here. This package will include a document checklist, forms to fill out, and instructions to guide you and your family members.

Remember, the application is non-refundable. Make sure you read the guide carefully. Moreover, you should ensure that:

  • You are eligible to sponsor
  • You list all of your family members
  • All of the information you provide is true
  • The application is complete

Finally, it is important to know that you can request permission to complete your family’s application for them, if they are having difficulty. You can do so here.

After your application is complete, you must pay the necessary fees. These include:

Additionally, there are third party fees for:

Once all the documents have been compiled, we will submit your application to IRCC.

Remember, processing times are currently delayed due to COVID-19.

Biometrics is defined as the measurement and analysis of people’s unique physical features and behaviors. In the case of an immigration application to Canada, the biometrics that is required are fingerprints and photos.

Firstly, people who need to submit biometrics (fingerprints and photos) are those applying for:

  • Visitor visas
  • Work or study permits (US nationals excluded)
  • Permanent residence
  • Refugee/asylum status
  • Extension to stay in Canada
  • Work or study permit extension

However, certain people are exempt from having to give biometrics. This applies to anyone in Canada applying for temporary residence. For example, you are exempt if you are:

  • Already in Canada
  • Applying or have an application in progress for:
  • Student or work permit extension
  • Visitor visa extension
  • Work or study permit
  • Visitor visa
  • Temporary resident permit

Individual :CAD $85
Families : a maximum total fee of CAD $170
Groups of 3 or more applying for work permits : maximum total fee of $255

Second, get the biometrics instructions letter. You need to bring this letter with you when you go submit your fingerprints and photos. As well, you need to bring with you a valid passport.

Finally, go to an official biometrics collection service point. You must make an appointment and go in person. Click here to find a collection point near you.

Biometrics given in the last 10 years are valid. But please note that there is a separate requirement for biometrics for permanent residency. It is different from the biometrics provided for temporary residency. You can use this tool to check if your biometrics are still valid.

IRCC will send you a mail confirming they have received your application. They will also send separate mails intimating whether the sponsor meets the requirements to be eligible as a sponsor and whether the applicant meets the requirements of being a member of the Family Class.

If either the sponsor or the applicant is deemed to be ineligible, the IRCC will intimate the reasons why they believe that the person is ineligible. It will be incumbent on the applicant or the sponsor to prove that they are indeed eligible.

We may need to provide more supporting documents to prove that the applicant meets the eligibility requirements

Once the sponsor and the applicant meets the requirements of being members of the Family class, a case number will be assigned to the case. At this point, we can apply for an open work permit for in-Canada spousal sponsorship applications.

The IRCC will further assess the application for medical and criminal inadmissibility. Permanent residency gives a person a very high immigration status in Canada. Therefore, the applications are thoroughly scrutinized for any sign of inadmissibility.

The Police Certificate has to be provided in your application package. The Police Certificate proves to the Canadian Authorities that you do not have a criminal record. If you do, you may be inadmissible to migrate to Canada.

If you are unable to provide a Police Certificate from a specific country, you need to inform IRCC why.
You have to prove that you tried to ask for a Police Certificate and that the authorities refused or were unable to give you one. You will have to write a letter explaining why you couldn’t get one.

However, this is not a guarantee of acceptance, and IRCC can refuse your case.

If your Police Certificate is in another language than French or English, you will have to make it translate by a Certified Translator.

The Police certificate must be scanned in colour and uploaded.

The IRCC does their independent checks through the RCMP and CSIS.

An Immigration Medical Exam is performed by a Registered Panel Physician to determine whether or not someone is inadmissible for medical reasons to come to Canada. It consists of a physical examination as well as further lab tests.

First, permanent resident applicants to Canada must have an Immigration Medical Exam. As well, family members of applicants must have an IME, even if they are not immigrating with you.

Second, certain temporary residents must have an Immigration Medical Exam. This applies to anyone who is staying longer than 6 months and comes from one of these countries. Furthermore, anyone coming as a temporary resident to work in a public health or agriculture-related field must have an IME as well.

You do not need to have an exam if you are coming for less than 6 months. But since spousal sponsorship is a permanent residency application, the applicant requires a medical exam Finally, you can have an IME before you apply (upfront medical exam) or after you submit your application. Find a panel physician near you here. As well, make sure you bring proper identification and your medical history.

Immigration Medical Exam results are only valid for 12 months. If you do not submit your application and come to Canada within that time, you may need to take another exam.

One of the steps of a spouse sponsorship application process is an interview. An interview may be requested after you send in your application package. Before you mail in the application, make sure you read our articles on eligibility and how to apply.

The purpose of the spouse sponsorship interview is for an Immigration officer to make a decision on the legitimacy of your partnership.

The interview will take place with an official at a local visa office. A second interview may also occur with a border official at a port of entry when arriving in Canada.

Though it may seem stressful, if your partnership is genuine you have nothing to worry about.

The most important thing during the interview is to give honest information. If the visa officer finds any fraudulent information during your interview or in your application you may be inadmissible to Canada.

The visa officer will ask you questions in various categories. These include:

Questions about your relationship with your partner:

  • Details about your partner such as their name, appearance, special features (glasses, allergies), hobbies, work, interests
  • Details about your wedding, if applicable, such as who was in attendance, the place of your honeymoon, who performed the ceremony, etc.

Questions about your communication with your partner:

  • When did you and your partner meet for the first time?
  • How often do you keep in touch, with proof
  • How do you communicate?
  • Evidence of phone bills, emails, etc.

Questions about your previous visits to Canada:

  • Where have you been in Canada?
  • How many times have you been?
  • Did you ever overstay a visa?
  • Has your spouse ever come to visit you in your home country?
  • Did you ever visit Canada before meeting your spouse?

At SponsorFamily, we can help you prepare for the interview and make you feel confident about your application. You can contact us now to get more information.

Once the application has been processed, IRCC will end you an email instructing the applicant to submit his passport for stamping if the applicant is outside Canada. The passport will be stamped with a single entry visa.

The CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency) will be issued when the applicant lands in Canada.

If the applicant is in Canada, then passport details will be requested from the applicant and then the e-CoPR will be sent by email to the applicant.

The PR card will then be mailed to a residential address provided by the applicant.

Ready To Reunite With Your Family?

We can help you reunite with your parents / grandparents, sponsor your spouse and your child / children.

We are your trusted specialists in Canadian family class sponsorship. We will assist you during all immigration process stages until you become permanent residents of Canada. You can count on us for any questions, or concerns you might have. We understand the processes and have been doing this for many years now. Furthermore, with a 100% client satisfaction rate, we are your best choice of family sponsorship application.